Staying Healthy around Standing Water Ferry Pass
Floods can cause standing water in Ferry Pass creating the possibility of different types of disease. Even small puddles can pose a risk.
Some types of debris found in flood waters include dead animals, sewage, and rotted plants. Inside the home, you should watch for debris involving rotted food and electrical problems.
Viruses and bacteria can cause illnesses. To reduce your chances of catching something, SERVPRO of East Naples suggests:
- Remember that you can shake hands with an infected person and get infected.
- Wash children’s hands before meals
- Use bleach or other disinfectants on hard surfaces
- Keep your hands washed
- Do not allow children to play in the flood water
- Using bleach if possible, wash clothing and towels in hot water
- Disinfect children’s toys before allowing them to play with them
Cuts and rashes can become infected. Protect yourself and others in Ferry Pass:
- Avoid flood waters if you have an open rash or a cut
- Clean cuts or rashes. Cover them with a waterproof bandage
- Clean cuts with soap and clean water
- If a cut becomes red, swollen, or is oozing, get medical attention