Understanding the Water Damage Timeline
Water damages can strike any time of day, and on any day of the week. Whether from a natural source, such as a heavy thunderstorm, or from manmade means, including leaking pipes, water damages are not only inconvenient, but can be both costly and stressful for the property owner. Because water damages progress rapidly, often causing additional and secondary damages, our team is ready to respond and begin the mitigation process 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is important to understand HOW water damages work, and the timeline they generally follow when left untreated, in order to successfully mitigate, remediate, and salvage as much as possible.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water spreads throughout the property, both in visible and non-visible cavities.
- Water is absorbed into drywall, flooring, and furniture.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing staining on surrounding carpets.
- Paper documents, photographs, and books absorb water and begin to swell.
Within 24 Hours:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Odor begins to develop.
- Furniture may begin to swell and warp.
48 Hours to One Week:
- Microbial growth begins and may start spreading.
- Doors, windows, and studs begin to swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust.
- Paint will begin to blister.
- Conditions can become hazardous for occupancy.
Greater than One Week:
- Structural safety is compromised.
- Microbial growth intensifies.
- Occupancy can be extremely unsafe.
- Cleanup and Restoration costs increase dramatically.
The faster the mitigation process is started, the more potential there is to save and restore the property, versus costly demolition and replacement. That’s why it’s important to choose the team that is “Faster to any size disaster”: SERVPRO of North Pensacola. We take great pride in providing the highest possible level of customer service when disaster strikes, at all times of day and on all days of the week. For service, or to learn more about our organization, please give us a call: 850-466-3076.