Pensacola Storm Preparation – Power Outages
When heavy storms strike, especially those that bring with them strong winds, one of the most common occurrences is loss of power. Depending on the intensity of the storm, amount of geographical area affected, and population density of the area hit, the restoration of power can happen in as little as a few minutes or can take as long as several days. With Northwest Florida being quite prone to heavy storms, hurricanes, and other weather phenomena that can result in power outages, it is important to take into consideration these power outage preparation tips:
- If using a generator, be sure to run outdoors, and follow all the manufacturer’s safety and operational instructions.
- Have plenty of flashlights and/or lanterns with batteries in your Emergency Preparedness Kit. Matches or a lighter are also valuable tools that can be useful in the case of a power outage.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors that have a battery back-up system in place.
- Keep a thermometer inside of your refrigerator; if temperatures within the refrigerator rise above 40 degrees, you will need to discard the affected food.
- Never touch downed power lines. Contact local officials if you see downed power lines in your area.
Serving Ferry Pass, Molino, and surrounding communities, SERVPRO of North Pensacola is here and ready to help when storm damages strike. To learn more about our services or request assistance, please give us a call at 850-466-3076. We’re “faster to any size disaster”!