Residential Structure Fires: What are the Leading Causes?
The smell of smoke, the flickering of flames, or the sounds of sirens…
These are some of the last things a homeowner wants to experience. Structure fires can be extremely dangerous, costly, and stressful: because of this, knowing the most common causes of these fires, and being able to perform routine maintenance to reduce their likelihood is imperative for members of the community.
So, what are the most common causes of residential structure fires?
According to the National Fire Protection Association, the five most common causes of residential structure fires are Cooking, Heating, Electrical, Smoking, and Candles.
- Cooking: Help prevent cooking fires by never leaving foods in the oven or on the stove unattended. Always be sure to keep cloth and paper goods (such as paper towels) a safe distance away from cooking surfaces. Supervise children in the kitchen, never allowing them to cook alone.
- Heating: When using a space heater for warmth, make sure to keep all flammable materials at least three feet away from the unit. If using a wood burning fireplace, have your chimney inspected and cleaned by a professional at least once a year.
- Electrical: Regularly check your electrical equipment cords for frays or breaks. If you have breakers pop frequently, have your system inspected by a professional. Follow manufacturer’s directions on installation of all appliances.
- Smoking: If you smoke, consider smoking outside of your home rather than inside. Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children, and make sure cigarettes or pipes are fully extinguished after use.
- Candles: Make sure candles are fully extinguished after use. Do not place in an area where they can be easily knocked over. Keep all paper and cloth materials away from burning candles.
Sometimes, even with the best practices and maintenance in place, fires still happen. Know that when fire damages occur, SERVPRO of North Pensacola is Here to Help. Serving the communities of Molino, Ferry Pass, Cottage Hill, and surrounding areas, our team of highly trained professionals is “Faster to Any Size Disaster!”