Reduce the Risk of DRYER FIRES!
Preventative maintenance and cleaning are two of the best ways to reduce the risk of a residential structure fire, and this is especially true in the case of clothing dryers. The US Fire Administration reports than an average of 2,900 dryer fires occur each year, amounting in nearly $35 million worth of property damage loss, and that failure to clean the dryer is the leading cause of these fires. Keep yourself, loved ones, and your property safe by following these tips on clothing dryer maintenance:
- Make sure that you dryer is installed according to manufacturer specifications. Improper wiring can cause an electrical fire. Along with proper installation, it is imperative to make sure your dryer is properly powered.
- Clean out the lint filter after each cycle. This allows the proper air flow through the machine, and the removal of the lint limits the amount of material available to burn if a fire did start.
- Periodically check the vent system leading out of the dryer. Make sure this venting is not cracked, restricted, or blocked.
- Do not put materials into the clothing dryer that are not rated for this type of drying.
- Clean out lint buildup behind, around, and underneath the dryer.
- Do not leave your dryer running unattended.
In the unfortunate event that a dryer, other appliance, or other malfunction causes a fire at your home, know that the professionally trained team at SERVPRO of North Pensacola is equipped and prepared to help. Serving communities throughout Northwest Florida, we have the training, experience, and expertise to handle fire damages of all shapes and sizes. To learn more about our services, request assistance, or for any other property damage issues, don’t hesitate to call: 850-466-3076. SERVPRO of North Pensacola – “We’re faster to any size disaster!”