What to do if you have PTSD during Thunderstorms and Lightning in Cottage Hill
It is estimated around 7% of people in the United States have suffered or still suffer with some form of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). For some people with PTSD a cause of panic might include thunderstorms and lightning.
SERVPRO of North Pensacola offers these guidelines to coping with PTSD during storms near your Cottage Hill home or business:
The best strategy is to be prepared.
- Know when a thunderstorm is likely. Plan what you will do during a thunderstorm
- Take care of your physical health. Eat a healthy diet. Get enough sleep. Do not rely on alcohol or other drugs. Do not smoke or chew tobacco
- Take care of your emotional health. See a therapist. Learn relaxation exercises. When you feel anxious, you can relax yourself
During a Thunderstorm in Cottage Hill:
- Slow your breathing
- Look around. Notice where you are. Notice that you are in a safe place
- Distract yourself from the storm. Wear headphones and listen to music. Sit in a pop-up tent
- Talk with someone you trust
Independently owned and operated by SERVPRO of North Pensacola.